FLORIDA - Jupiter - Apr/Jul 2013 - House Sitting - Chapter 3 - Update


Where the Loxahatchee River meets the Atlantic Ocean
  21 - 29 April 2013


Well it’s slightly over a week since dropping off the home owners at a local airport and beginning my latest house sitting assignment.  After driving around the area a little I’ve scouted out places to fish, eat, hike, and take day trips; all without leaving the town of Jupiter.  Since this assignment is for three months my area of travel will surely grow.  As to how far my travels will expand, what other towns, beaches, parks, eateries, we’ll have to wait and see.  One thing for sure there is plenty to see and do in South Florida.

Like I’ve mentioned in other blog postings, house sitting is a lot like living in your home with one big difference; you’re living in a different location.  While house sitting I’ve made it a point to do some type of course study.  Some of these studies include courses to improve my writing and learn about the history and culture of the local area; in doing so I meet and talk to locals as well as take day trips.  Some of these trips are solely for the purpose of getting out enjoying the sunshine and mingling.

On one such trip the other day while looking for a fishing spot, I stopped by a nearby beach.  The waves were breaking at about 6 feet and if I was into surfing I may have hit the water; but needless to say I don’t know how to surf so that didn’t happen.  Instead, I watched the few surfers and wake boarders taking advantage of the rolling breaks and simply walked the beach.  The sand was warm, water cool, breeze gentle, and the sun was bright; and at the end of the day, my skin had a pink sunburn tint.
Hiking/biking trail
Another place I found was a local park; Riverbend Park.  This place is full of well maintained hiking and biking trails with 5 trails longer than a mile, 12 from ¼ up to a mile, and 7 more under a ¼ mile.  Several more trails at least a mile in long are marked as horse riding trails.  The majority of trails either follow the Loxahatchee River or its smaller tributaries. 

Tributary of Loxahatchee River
Pond on the Loxahatchee River
Rat snake on the trail

While walking a couple trails I saw a large whitetail deer and wild turkey; both escaped my camera lens.  Continuing my hike I spotted more birds that I could count, several squirrels, turtles, fish, and a snake.  There were plenty of other people walking and riding bikes many stopping to chat and share what they had seen on the trails.  
Okay, so we’re up to date on what’s been happening in my life as a house and pet sitter.  All is going well, the neighbors are friendly, everything I may need is close by, and of course the Florida weather is usually beautiful.
Until next time,
Mike
Have fun – Travel safe

No comments:

Post a Comment