PUERTO RICO - Vieques - 2014 - House Sitting - Chapter 5 - One Assignment Complete and Tourist Time



With the return of Chris and Elisabeth, the first of two house/pet sitting assignments here is complete.  As I mentioned at the beginning of this blog series, the home also has rental units, here's the link Vieques Countryside. 




Dropping them for the start of their holiday, I'd asked Chris when they would be back and he said when they show up at the house.  We had just finished talking about Friday being the day the "boys" got together to pitch horseshoes, and he said I should go.  Continuing he said, if they were home by then he would join me, but other than that, I didn't need to be at the house when they got home; so I wasn't.


When we did catch up with each other, we talked about their holiday as well as things at home in their absence.  Not having been away from home for a number of years, Chris now realizes his little island is quite peaceful.  He could not get over how crowed, touristy, and busy the neighboring Caribbean island of St Martin was.


Saturday morning was spent chatting about life in general before I made my way to the Esperanza Inn; but agreeing to enjoy more visits while I was still on the island. 


Front view of Esperanza Inn
Esperanza is where I'll be spending a few days as Carol finalizes her travel preparations.  As part of her prep, Carol was going to the hairdresser and since I needed a haircut, I tagged along.  Lynn (the hairdresser) worked me in without a wait.  After the haircuts, Carol drove me to the inn.


I'd met J and Lisa, the owners of Esperanza Inn at the dinner party Carol had last week.  Since I'd spent some time, and will spend more in Isabel Segunda, I wanted to experience Esperanza; and what a better way than at the Esperanza Inn.  Arriving, checking in, and simply dropping my bag we went for a drink.


My room - "The Casita" with the nickname Love Shack
Around 1700 hours Carol left and I returned to the inn to settle in.  Right around sunset, I made my way to the rooftop terrace for the day ending ritual. 


As with my mornings at Chris and Elizabeth's I awoke to the sound of nature.  As the morning progressed, a rain shower passed through adding to the sounds and smells of natural beauty.
 

 


After the rain and some coffee, I took a walk along the malecon (boardwalk), past the pier, and to the beach.  The Esperanza bay was calm with boats moored on the open water.  I can only assume people sleeping in the cabins, which in my mind is almost the equivalent of a giant waterbed.

Top of the malecon looking down the hill

The piers at the bottom of the malecon
Esperanza Bay

Completing my walk it was time to get an early lunch at one of the local eateries.  I choose "Bananas".  Looking at the menu, I selected their pulled pork sliders with french fries and mango juice to drink.  The service was fast and friendly, food was good, and cost was average for the island.



Spending the rest of my day in either the pool or walking around town I called it a day and returned to my room about 1900 hours.  I caught up on some writing and reading before cutting the lights and falling to sleep with the sounds of nature.


Until next time...

Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment