PUERTO RICO - Vieques - 2014 - House Sitting - Chapter 4 - Sounds of Nature and Isabel Segunda


Being on an island with plenty of cars, but not a single traffic light, gets a person to thinking.

I realize motorized vehicles are a big part of our daily lives.  But, it's now obvious to me, we don't need to awake to racing engines, honking horns, or the constant whirl of passing vehicles.  Since being here, all my mornings have started with nature's songs; branches rustling in the gentle breeze, birds singing, and roosters crowing.  Couple that with the sweet smell of blooming flowers mixed with ripening fruit and citrus,  it activates your senses of sight, touch, and taste; NOW get your ass out of bed, a new day has arrived.


Awaking the other morning as I just described, my challenge was do I want eggs, fresh fruit, or cereal for breakfast.  An egg omelet with mushrooms and onions with a fried pork chop won out.  Why a pork chop, I didn't have a steak, don't like bacon, but like pork.  Sorry about not having a picture; after cooking my stomach over-ruled my brain.  Yes ladies, a guys brain is sometimes overtaken by devious demons.


This is a breakfast of coffee, mango, and honey grahams with peanut butter
Before the sun hits its peak or the temperature soars above 90 degrees F, I attacked some yard work.  It amounted to simple removal of branches from the fence, small tree removal, and harvesting some fruit and veggies.  All with homeowners consent prior to their departure. 

The removal of branches from fence lines is necessary here if you want your fence to stay up during a tropical storm of hurricane.  As the branches intertwine in the chain link, they develop into a living wall, thus becoming more susceptible to wind damage.

Another morning before it was scorching hot, I made a trip to Isabel Segunda to walk around, taking in some sites. The town is typical with a central park, benches in front of buildings, narrow streets, and lots of traffic albeit at random times.

Church in center of town

Central park across from church

Sidewalks lined with benches

The ferry arrives

And the people disembark

Traffic in front of the ferry terminal

Like a road to nowhere; it does stop just before the water

A GREAT place for a beer and the best conch pastries (empanadas) ever

A local pier and boat launch
A protective cannon at Fortin Conde de Mirasol

Part of the cannon battery at Fortin Conde de Mirasol

A view from the Fortin Conde de Mirasol
I didn't do much shopping in town, but from the little I did, you can find whatever you want.  Like many other places I've been, the name brands may not be the same but the products are available.

That's it for now, so until next time...
Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment