FLORIDA - The Villages - 2014 - House Sitting - The Villages in Retrospect


Recently I completed a two-week house/pet sitting assignment at The Villages in Florida.
 
 The Villages is a gated community for people over 55 and is primarily made up of retirees.  It's population in a census conducted in 2010 was more than 50,000 which is a 500+% from the 2008 census.  This place is huge and building more homes at the time of this posting. 

Within the community, there are three Town Squares, each with its own theme.  They have around 27 executive (9-hole) golf courses and an additional 15 or so championship courses.  Residents' don't pay to play the executive courses and championship courses are played at reduced rates.

This house/pet sitting was for friends and previous clients while I was living on the island of Antigua in the Caribbean.  Having owned their home in The Villages for a while now and renting it, Tim and Joanne decided to retire.  They now enjoy friendly neighbors, golf, nightly selection of three different concert venues nightly, pools, social clubs and activities, and literally something to do from A-Z; all free.

When they asked me to look after their home and more importantly take care of Petey their dog, I immediately said yes.

In a gated community

It's Florida, we do get some rain
Driving the 100 miles from my home to theirs, I arrived two days before Tim and Jo were to leave.  We spent time reminiscing, meeting neighbors, going to one of the outdoor concerts, and partaking of a cocktail or few.

The day of departure came early as their vacation began with a drive to visit family before embarking on self-guided tour of the Erie Canal system in New York.

As some of you may have read on my blog postings while sitting on Corn Island Nicaragua, I don't always use a car.  In Nicaragua, my primary mode of transportation was a bicycle, well here in The Villages, I had a gas powered golf cart.


EVERYBODY drives golf carts

Golf carts are not only for golf
My two weeks were spent living like a local; golfing, walking, going to concerts and any of the many other activities available.  Nightly a few of the neighbors and I would sit on a patio reflecting on the day and telling stories of times gone by.

Live entertainment at the Sumter Lake Village Square

The "marina gas station" at Lake Sumter Square

Yes, there are gators in the lakes; hey it's Florida
Entrance off the county road to Brownwood Village Square

Weekly farmers market at Brownwood Village Square

Even The Villages have the Governor of Florida visit (the bald guy in the blue shirt)
As with many communities, there are unofficial mottos and The Villages is no different.  The official motto is "America's Friendliest Hometown".  Well, The Villages has a few of these unofficial mottos that can be heard around different groups. 
                -  Florida's Adult Disney World
                -  A golfing community with a drinking problem
                -  A drinking community with a golfing problem

Well the two weeks ended and I had to make my way back home; which in my mind, staying at Tim and Joann's home is like a home away from home for me.  Having knowing them for a few years and sitting for them several times, it's like I belong there.

Anyway I digress, my time in The Villages has come to an end...

Until next time
mike

No comments:

Post a Comment