FLORIDA - Venice - 2014 - House Sitting - Chapter 1 - Arrival & Touring



I've just started my sixth house and pet sitting assignment since May of this year.  Two of them were on the island of Vieques in Puerto Rico, and this one, like the rest of the others have been in the state of Florida.

I arrived here in Naples Florida the morning of 9 October after about an hour and a half drive from home.  I've been looking forward to assignment since meeting with Joe and Judith in March.  Venice is located in Sarasota County just south of the Tampa Bay area of Florida.  It's a coastal town with older style Florida homes as well as modern upscale homes.

Joe and Judith's home is ideally located within walking distance of historic downtown Venice and the beautiful white sands of the beaches along the Gulf of Mexico.

Upon my arrival, it was like returning to visit old friends. Not only was I greeted by the homeowners, but also Lily, their West Highland white terrier equally made me feel welcome.

After the homeowners left, I did as I normally do which is spending time with the family pet minimizing their stress.  Although Lily is about 13 years old and has aging joints, she still likes to go outside even though she doesn't run and play.  She enjoys walking in the grass, smelling squirrels, and the other Florida wildlife living in the area.  As the afternoon sun rose, she enjoyed lying on the pool deck like a typical Floridian.

Like many small Florida towns, Venice has a farmers market Saturday mornings until around noon.  After a short walk to the farmers market, I wandered around looking at the wares of local craftsmen, various small plants and of course fresh homegrown vegetables.


Welcome to the farmer's market
It's a small market with plenty of vendors
And local artist painting what their eyes see

I had one destination to get to today and went the long way to get there.  Looking at a map, I missed a bridge crossing the intercoastal waterway.  In the end, the walk took me on the Legacy Trail, something I probably would have missed.


A look at a bridge on the Legacy Trail
The intercoastal waterway

 Sarasota County was once home for many, if not most of the Ringling Brothers traveling circus crew. 
As such, they held an annual parade, walking the animals through the town of Venice before boarding them on the train.  Now, the Venice Train Depot is now a beautifully restored (at least the outside) a restored tourist attraction; it was closed at the time of this posting so I can't vouch for the interior, but I will return and update.


The refurbished Venice Train Depot

The adjoining park
Tracks to nowhere

Well, it looks like we're in for a couple of rainy days so I guess it's time to work on at least one of the on-line courses I'm taking...

Until next time
Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment