PUERTO RICO - Vieques - 2015 - House Sitting - Chapter 6 - Another week of island life

Well another week has gone by.  The weather has been great for the most part with a few rain showers popping up now and then.  Yes, they do kinda slow things down, but 'mon, don't you worry bout it, it's island life'.

I went to a few more beaches, harvested and shelled a few more coconuts, gathered eggs, swatted mosquitoes, and got a job.  Can you believe that, somebody actually offered me and I accepted a job.

One definite advantage about being here during this particular time of year, there are very few tourists.  Yes, some of the restaurants, bars, and tour operators may be closed or on reduced hours, you can still eat, drink, and see what Vieques has to offer.  Personally, I've had no challenges, and have not been told of any either.

Thus far the beaches have been abandoned.  Of all the ones I've been on, the only ones that have had people on them had a paved road leading to the parking area.

Another big difference has been the signage on the beaches.  Here are some sings I normally see on the beaches or at least by the parking areas.





























 
Then, I go to beaches here on Vieques, and see signs like this all over the place.  As you can see, they are not only in the parking areas, but right on the water as well.

 So if you ever come to Vieques, please, take this warning and watch where the hell you walk and swim.  Stingrays do temporary damage, exploding bombs are permanent.















 Once I made my way along several miles of dirt roads, found the beach I was looking for.  I made my way past the signs, to the water and yes, the trek was worth it.  Playa Chiva is one of the secluded beaches I found.  It's not really a single beach, but more a peninsula with several small, really secluded beaches for your enjoyment.  






I tried to get to a place called "Secret Beach", but when I came to a pond in the road and a closed gate on the other side I elected stop.  Mainly because I didn't know how deep the pond was, but the locked gate had a lot to do with it.

 Spending most of my afternoons at the house, hiding from the sun as it baked the remaining water from the soils, I spent a lot of time watching the chickens.  Hey, they were really the only living things moving.

Carol has a total of about forty chickens, mostly adults but also babies and 'juveniles'.  Some have not even hatched yet.  The babies are the neatest ones to watch as they are learning how to find food, and sometimes get too close to moms scratching feet; thus getting knocked down the hill.












Okay, now let's talk a little about me getting a job.

A couple weeks ago I received a call asking me about house sitting.  I explained that I was already committed and agreed to try to find someone.  As we were finishing the telephone conversation, the lady said she had to get back to work in the yard with her husband. Being my nature, I offered to help them if needed.  She said thanks and said she would get back to me.

I couldn't find anybody to house sit for this couple and that issue went away.

Last weekend, I got another call and the lady asked if I was serious about helping.  I told her I was and she asked how much I charged.  I simply told her the could pay me whatever they thought was fair.  Agreeing to work a couple days a week, and getting the directions, the plan was set.

After driving past the house, I finally found it and arrived Monday morning at 0830 hours.  As I pulled into the driveway, her husband was right behind me.  She went to introduce us and I blurted out "I know that guy from horse shoes".  Last year I spent my Friday afternoons pitching shoes and having drinks with some of the local US mainlanders.

Anyway, I talked to the husband, found out what the job was and we agreed on payment.  As it turns out, I'd basically be helping their full time employee take care of the yard and some basic handyman type stuff.  We only work from 0800 to 1200 hours, which is perfect and so far, I've been employed for two days.  Hey, who knows, I might be able to get back into the workforce; NOT.

Here is the updated map of my travels around this beautiful island of Vieques.

No comments:

Post a Comment