2013 IN REVEIW - Welcome 2014











As with everything, there is a beginning and an end.  The year 2013 has ended and 2014 has begun.

Many people have made resolutions, wish lists, bucket lists, set goals, or whatever we want to call them for things they want to accomplish this year.  I too am guilty of making some of these and yes, I am equally as guilty of not following through on them. 

In my opinion the easiest way to accomplish things in life is to have a plan.  This not only applies to your professional life, but to your leisure life as well.  For me, since retiring at the age of 56 my professional and leisure lives have combined into one. 

Traveling and writing were by-products of my profession.  I traveled where my employer sent me and my writing was instructional, technical, and rather mundane.  That has all changed, thanks to you.

Here's a brief look at 2013, my year in review.
Continuing my travels as a house and pet sitter, I spent the last part of January and beginning of February watching two dogs and four chickens in Florida.  Thanks Bill and Debbie.





In late February I woke up one morning and looking in the mirror I asked the boss, myself, where we wanted to go; the answer, Mexico.  Within a few days of talking to myself in the mirror I was on packed and on a plane to Mexico.


Me at the Mayan ruins of Cabo
Turtle Island of a local cenote
Taking the five day trip I visited the Mayan ruins of Cabo, toured a cenote, and walked the beaches of the Mayan Rivera.
 
In March on the way to a house/pet sitting assignment I spent some time with some great friends in Savannah, Georgia.  I've visited Jimmy and Cathy several times before and since the assignment and will continue to do so every chance I get.  Even though I'm usually there for only a few days, it's always enjoyable and rewarding.  Jimmy and Cathy, thanks for always being a friend and listening to my sometimes endless rambling.

The house/pet sitting assignment drawing nearer I departed Georgia on my way to North Carolina.   

Here I cared for Lucy, a pit bull puppy and watched the home of one of my daughters and her husband.  Instead of doing much sightseeing, I volunteered to do some things around the house for Danielle and Nathan.  Kids, I know you had a rough year, but 2014 will prove to be better.  Just remember the simple words, "In God I trust."

April brought me an extended house/pet sitting assignment for Steven and Aleta in Jupiter Florida.   

Living in their home, caring for two cats I took every opportunity to see Southeast Florida.

Jupiter inlet lighthouse
Jupiter inlet
Me at a local park
Real Florida native
 Many hours were spent on the local beaches either fishing or walking.  I took an Everglades airboat tour, went to numerous free parks, and visited several local attractions.  In the three months (April - July) spent here I wrote a lot of blog postings and an article that was published on-line by Solo Traveler.  Thanks, Steven and ALeta.

Returning home in late July for five days, I was off to another three month (July - October) assignment to Corn Island, Nicaragua.

The island is only four square miles with a population of around 10 thousand people.  The people are friendly, beaches are wide, water is warm, and sun was plentiful.

This was not an ordinary assignment in that I managed a vacation rental property.  Located directly on the shores of the Caribbean Sea the house offers two studio apartments for rent.

Corn Island
The house
Returning from the "office"
Just another day at "work"
My ride
On this assignment I truly lived like a local.  Most of my meals were prepared by the housekeeper, using local produce and meats, cooked with local knowledge.  If I didn't walk wherever I went the bicycle was my primary mode of transportation.

Thanks Don and Kathy for entrusting your home and business to me.

After returning home in late October I made my way back to North Carolina via a stop in Georgia.  I had the pleasure of spending Thanksgiving with my oldest daughters and their families to include my only grandchild.  Life really is good.

My next house/pet sitting assignment for 2013 was a four day trip to Ft Myers, Florida.  Here, I cared for four dogs and fished in one of two ponds on the property.  Thanks Gary and Jan.

Ft Myers house
Mollie and Bubba
Trudy and Scottie
Now I'm on my final assignment which started in December and will end in early January. 

This sit involves watching a cat while the homeowner is in Washington DC for the New Year celebration; although they may not make it out because of the weather.  Thanks Veronica, I'll see you soon.

A couple of things I did throughout the year included selling photos on-line through stock photo agencies, wrote and published a book of travel stories, and made some progress on a novel I hope to finish and get published.

What's in store for me, what's my plan for 2014?

Let's see, I've got a couple house/pet sitting assignments confirmed, the graduation from college and wedding of my middle daughter, and the birth of my next grandchild, although neither of my daughters are pregnant yet.  Come to think of it this may be wishful thinking; but it's their plan.

I'll continue traveling and sharing my experiences through blogging and writing for in print and on-line publications.  I'll finish writing and publishing another book of travel stories, work on my novel, and of course enjoy whatever life brings my way.

Thanks for following me and I look forward to hearing from you all.
Mike

P.S.  Just a second thought here, if there is some place you think I should travel, let me know.  Even though I'm partial to the Americas and the Caribbean I'm open to anywhere.  With one exception, I only go where it's warm.

2 comments:

  1. Well, it is warm here in Australia - our hottest day in over 100 years last week. Enjoy your travels. The US is too cold for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good day Di:

      Thanks for commenting

      The weather here in Florida is getting back to normal. While not as hot as Australia it is closer to 100 than it is to zero.

      Have a great day, thanks for reading.

      Mike

      Delete