PUERTO RICO - Vieques - 2014 - House Sitting - Chapter 2 - Home Owners Depart


Sunday was spent helping Chris and Elisabeth around the house and in the evening, a few friends gathered to watch the sunset.  It's more a less a ritual for some residents, either watching from the beach or patios and terraces at home; what a great way to end the day.

Monday morning started early, as Chris and Elisabeth had to be at the ferry terminal by 0600 for a scheduled 0630 departure.  For the ferry, "scheduled" simply means that's the plan, and plans change; as they often do for the ferry.
Returning to the house, I started my new morning routine of checking the property, feeding the dogs, refilling the wild bird feeder/water, and of course having coffee during the entire process. 

Note to house/pet sitters; in my view it's extremely important keep the family pets as close to their routine as possible when their owner is away.  Thus, it's one of the first things to learn and so arriving early is essential.

Looking at the weather forecast for today called for "intermittent clouds" and a slight chance of rain; half right.  The morning was cloudy and it rained more than not.  By eleven, we started getting to the actual forecasted weather.

Wanting to get some "comfort" foods, not rum, I already took care of that, I walked to "Colmado Mambo".  Chris and I stopped here Sunday to get wine for the sunset ritual.  It's about a twenty-minute downhill walk from the house, but about a thirty-minute uphill walk back.

On my way down the hill, I stopped by Carol's, the second house I would be sitting in my month here on Vieques.  We had met on Sunday so since her house was on the way, I dropped in for a little chat.

Resuming my downhill walk I took in the smells of fresh rain, flowers, and horse crap.  With wild and semi-domesticated horses roaming freely on the island, the smell of excrement is as normal as the smell of tropical flowers.

Backpack and one grocery bag full, I started my uphill trek.  As I approached the house of another continental US transplant I met Sunday, I again made a short stop to say hello.  Besides, it was a good place to take little rest.

On the road, again I came across a couple of the free roaming horses lounging in the shade.

Wild horse roam freely on Vieques Island, Puerto Rico
 During the entire walk, I was greeted by both English and Spanish speaking residents.  It's not uncommon to be having a conversation in one language and all of a sudden, it changes; and "Spanglish" (the random mix of Spanish and English words) appears to be acceptable here.

With cloudy skies returning, afternoon humidity rose.  I noticed a few ominous and dark clouds over the waters between the "big island" and Vieques.  As I watched them, several fingers started making their way down.  Realizing if they reached the water, they would be considered water spouts, which are basically tornadoes on the water.  Having not seen this before out came the camera and a few shots were taken.  Nothing developed so all ended well.

Two of the more than six funnel clouds I saw forming

Approaching the sacred sunset hour, I went to the third floor patio to give thanks and reflect on this day, while planning for the next. 

Evening chores done, it was time to watch a movie and get ready for tomorrow.  Another day in a tropical paradise ends.

Until next time,
Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment