FLORIDA - Naples - 2014 - House Sitting - With "The Ice Bucket Challenge"



Another house and pet sitting assignment has come and gone with one caveat; I spent most of this one with my arm in a cast.

I recently had carpal and cubical tunnel surgery on my right arm thus making typing a bit challenging. After a day of trying to type I bought a dictation software program; now I have to learn how to use it. So far, it's straightforward and while I'll have to edit manually, the majority of typing is done with the software.
This assignment was about a three-hour drive from my home to the Southwest Florida town of Naples. The ride will take me across the Sunshine Skyway Bridge, which is rated by the travel channel as number three of its top 10 bridges in the world. It spans over 4 miles and towers more than 400 feet above Tampa Bay.


 Arriving at the house the night before Jim and Cynthia departed for their vacation I was reacquainted with the three Bichon dogs they would leave in my care. Since I considered this a day trip, I had previously taken the ride to meet Jim, Cynthia and the pups. It was on this initial visit that the bonds of human friendship and animal trust began.

Dinner and reminiscing complete, and details finalized, it was soon time to hit the bed.  Tomorrow begins early with Jim and Cynthia departing at 0415.

With the 0430 departure of the homeowners the dogs, Tuffy, Molly, and Baby were all anxious and wondering what I was doing here and where mom and dad had just gone. After going outside to take care of their business plus a little affection and attention they calmed down and went back to sleep; so did I.

As with most of my house and pet sitting assignments, I spent the first day getting acquainted and socializing with the dogs.

When I checked my email later in the morning, I found my oldest daughter had issued me the amyotrophic lateral sclerosis challenge, otherwise known as the ALS challenge.  With a 24-hour window to donate to the ALS fund or dunk with an ice and water mix, I choose the dunk.

With my arm in a cast, not knowing anyone to ask for help, and not being in my home where help and various buckets were available, I had to engineer a way of getting one and a half to 2 gallons of ice water over my head.  After looking around the house, I found a ladder, a 5-gallon bucket, and with some rope from my truck I tried to design a system of dumping the water from the letter to me sitting on the ground.  


After several test with the ladder and bucket, the only thing I could see from this engineering project was injury.

Resuming my search inside the home, I found a 2-quart pitcher and a 1-gallon bucket.  In the end, I was dunked twice.

After a couple of days of being on this assignment, I don't think I could have asked for a better place to recuperate.  Living in a nice, comfortable home, with good dogs and a pool, a park across the street, and all the essentials within walking distance, who could ask for more.

Finally, the day to have my cast removed has come and gone. With both arms free it's to fully immerse and enjoy the use of the pool.

In between spending time in the pool and walking the neighboring park, I didn't venture in the car to historic Naples, the Naples pier, and beach.
 
5th Ave, Naples
Most colorful store front in town

Artwork
An historic home one block from the beach

Outside seating for drinks or dining

Beach by Naples pier

Dolphin swimming by the pier

Dolphin swimming by the pier

Veterans Memorial Monument
 The park across the street offers sailing, a beach for swimming, canoeing/kayaking, integrate walking trail around medium-size lake.  With my arm still healing, I elected against sailing and kayaking, save my swimming for the pool. 

While there was no wildlife on the trail, the scenery around the lake was tranquil and relaxing.  My stroll lasted about an hour before returning home in getting into the pool.
 
Preparing the kayaks
Mother and son enjoying a walk
Dog friendly walking trail
With Jim and Cynthia scheduled to arrive home about 1 AM to dogs were asleep in their beds and I was resting on the couch.  But as soon as the pups heard the voices of mom and dad they were up running around in circles and barking.

After discussing their trip and letting the dogs out everyone retired to bed.

With a three-hour drive ahead of me, farewells exchanged, and yard work to do it my own home I departed about 0730. 

Another house sitting assignment has come to an end.  Even with limited mobility because of a bum arm, this assignment was enjoyable and I look forward to visiting Jim, Cynthia and the pups again.

Until next time
Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment