FLORIDA - Venice - 2014 - House Sitting - Chapter 3 - Relaxing, Learning, & New Pix


I'll start this post with an apology for the unusual number of repeat photos in last week's posting.  I've elected to leave them, but will do a better job in the future in selecting new shots.

The week started with scattered rain and decent temperatures as a cold front advanced from the north.  The front passed, leaving us with cool 60° to 70° evenings and comfortable 75° to 85° afternoons.

With the cooler temps accompanied by a gentle breeze I ventured to the waters of the South jetty to try my hand at fishing.  The locals say this is one of the better spots to fish, without having a boat, and from the crowd of fisherman at the outmost end of the jetty, it had to be true.

In the several hours spent baiting a hook, casting a line, and repeating the process I had a grand total of nothing big enough to eat.  In fact, I did not see one fish big enough to eat by the more than 25 fishermen along the jetty.  Yes, we were all catching fish, but the ones I got could have been cut up for bait; so no fishy pix.  But I did get a few cool shots of the sea birds.
 
 

 
In between fishing, a lot of my time was spent wandering the streets of Venice. Being only a few blocks away makes it very convenient to go downtown stroll around looking in the shops.  One thing I did notice in this week strolls was the number of people in the downtown area.  A couple of weeks ago when I was walking, there were some people but not near the numbers I had seen this week; I guess it's true the Sun Fiesta is the unofficial start of snowbird season.
A typical "old" Florida street; full of shade
This is a residential one-way street with a median complete with a sidewalk and benches
This is a shot of one of the resting areas along the median path
Could be spooky if it wasn't so tranquil
A car parked downtown; time to sure with a witch
 Many times after walking in town, I came home and lounged in the pool until it was time to cook dinner.  One of the great things about living in Florida, even in the middle of November you can jump in your pool.  Yeah although upon entry, the water is a bit chilly all you have to do is move around a little bit your body acclimates and all is fine.  One thing for sure it is not the Arctic plunge just a little chilly in the beginning.

The majority of my evenings were spent learning and practicing photograph-editing techniques.  With my previous cameras, I had some success selling photos through online stock agencies.  However, earlier this year I purchased a digital SLR camera, and along with new equipment came new lessons.  While the shots are good for personal viewing, they sometimes need tweaking for commercial sales.

In the backyard
Talk about a snails pace

Beautiful evening for a sail
Sunsets are great, even standing alone
No words needed
Until next time, enjoy your journey through life
Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment